Friday, March 2, 2012

2012 Ottawa Rose Selection

We are just a week away from the 2012 Ottawa Rose of Tralee Selection weekend and preparations are in full swing.

This year we have, once again, an incredible line-up of events for the girls.

Friday is a casual day where the girls and I will check into the hotel and meet each other for the first time

Saturday is a full day of appearances: Breakfast at Cora's, The St. Patrick's Day Parade, Post-Parade Party, Spa Treatments, Group Interviews, Individual Interviews, Dinner and of course an evening appearance on the town

Sunday starts early with interviews and "Rose DJs" on the Gaelic Hour at CHIN FM, the National Irish Canadian Culture Centres Pancake breakfast, Tea and biscuits at St.Pat's home and last but, not least...THE  SELECTION at the Residence of the Irish Ambassador during which the girls are interviewed in front of the crowd and have the option to perform a party piece (they are not judged on this talent).

The 2012 Ottawa Rose will then be wined and dined with the Centre representatives...

It's bitter sweet for me as I prepare to meet the ladies this coming Friday March 9th, 2012. It's been suuuuch a wonderful experience I wish it wouldn't end. I've come to realize over the last couple months however, that the experience doesn't end when I crown the next rose...its only just begun. This festival creates bonds between a group of young adults that last a lifetime and will carry us through the highs and lows that life throws our way in the years to come.
Already the girls have been there for me through the loss of 6 friends and family in the last year...they were there in person, on the phone and via Skype...despite the oceans between us we are a family.
I didn't get to take part in the trip to Chernobyl this year to do constraints with vacation time from work however, I know I can just put in a call and go with some of the other roses in the years to come.

The friends I've made through this experience are the real kind and my hope for the girls participating in the Ottawa Selection is that they take from this coming weekend what I took from it...if they take only that - they'll be left with friends to last a lifetime and those don't come around often.
For the Rose who is selected to represent Ottawa in Ireland - I hope she is as blessed as I was to get to spread the word on how beautiful our country and Irish community really is here in Ottawa.

Girls, if you're reading this, you really have no idea what type of journey you are about to embark on and I'm sooooo jealous I can't re-enter this year!

Best of luck to all the girls as they prepare for this weekend. You know how to reach me should you have any questions whatsoever.

Can't wait!
Kate Scott
Ottawa Rose 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment